Avril Ramona Lavigne

Sunday, February 20, 2011

"I can almost see myself ten years ago, jumping on my bed, listening to Sk8er Boi... being all emo and hating the world..."


Avril Lavigne rocked my teenage life when she released her first breaking single, Complicated, around ten years ago... Then she blew my mind with her second hit single, Sk8er Boi... After that, she made me cry with her next one, I'm With You... 

She was freakin' amazing and I was her number one fan in Ketengah Jaya, Dungun, Terengganu... I loved her... I listened only to her album, Let Go (2002 - 03), every single day for months... I bought the album using my own money, both cassette and CD, both pirated and original... First I bought the pirated one, then after listening to how awesome the album was, I bought the original... The original album was limited edition where an extra CD containing Avril's music videos and extra tracks was included... it was the most expensive album I've bought so far...

I think she's the reason why I like cute, petite girls with attitude so much... 

The first album 

When she first came into the music industry, she portrayed such strong behavior which reflected how fucked up her teenage life were... Before she became an artist, she had a rough time coping with school and seldom being kicked out of class for misbehaving... I guess that's why most of the songs in her first album reflect teengage rebelion... Even the way she had dressed herself showed how rebelious she was as a teenager...

Studded bangles, striped hand socks, singlets, and dark eye liners... 
Rebelious enough for u?

 The tie used to be her trademark... 
Even our very own local singer, ELLA, 
was influenced with her dressing...
  
Besides the singles, among the best tracks in the album Let Go are Mobile, Tomorrow, Anything but Ordinary and Naked... I dare to say that her first album is her best so far... She won Best Album of the Year during the Juno Awards, Gold Disc Awards (Hong Kong), Golden Disc Awards (Japan), and Brasil Music Awards in 2003 and received many more recognitions for her singles... Damn awesome...


Avril changed her appearance from boyish to goth when she released her second album, Under My Skin (2004 - 05)...

Darker and less boyish than before...

  I loved her hair... and the smokey eyes were beautiful... 

Her teenage rebelion had toned down a bit, revealing a more matured Avril...
Despite her appearance, most of her songs still belong to the genre of pop... Her first single for this album, Don't Tell Me, became my favorite break up song ever... The single topped the charts in UK, Canada, Mexico and Argentina... 

Avril won two World Music Awards in 2004 for "World's Best Pop/Rock Artist" and "World's Bestselling Canadian Artist"... She received five Juno Award nominations in 2005, and picked up three, including "Artist of the Year"... Furthermore, she won the award for "Favorite Female Singer" at the eighteenth annual Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards and was nominated in every MTV Award show shown around the world...

Impressive huh?

On the release of her third album, The Best Damn Thing (2006), Avril shocked her fans (including me) by changing her appearance again from goth to "cheerleader" look which was rather bitchy... This is my least favorite look of Avril Lavigne... However, I still couldn't deny that she's really pretty... Avril defended her new style by saying: 

"I don't really regret anything... You know, the ties and the wifebeaters and all... It had its time and place... And now I'm all grown up, and I've moved on..."

 The third album...

Her first single of this album, Girlfriend" was rather hard for me to accept as it's too girly... and she made it worst by collaborating with Lil' Mama for the remix of the same track... However, the rest of the songs in the album were great... My favorite track was Runaway and her second single, When You're Gone... This album won her Album of the Year for Japan Golden Disc Awards and Gold Disc Award (Hong Kong) in 2008... 

In August 2008, Malaysia's Islamic opposition party, the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), attempted to ban Avril's show in Kuala Lumpur, judging her stage moves as "too sexy" (WHAT??!)... Her concert on 29 August was considered as promoting wrong values ahead of Malaysia's independence day on 31 August (HMM???!)... Luckily, on 21 August 2008, MTV reported that the concert had been approved by the Malaysian government...

At this moment, Avril had also gone into modelling... She modelled for magazines such as Harper's Bazaar, an American fashion magazine...

Owh My God!! Cleavage!!

 Ain't she pretty?

 
I'm glad she's still wearing Converse...

Besides that, she now designs clothes and selling her own perfumes... She owns a clothing company named Abbey Dawn...

Abbey Dawn by Avril 

 Perfume by Avril...

In January 2010, Avril worked with Disney on Alice in Wonderland-themed clothing designs, inspired by Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland... She also wrote a song for the film, "Alice", which was played at the end credits and included on the soundtrack, Almost Alice...

In addition, Avril also starred in a few as an actress... However, she's careful enough by only taking small roles and making cameos... Her feature film debut was voicing an animated character in the film Over the Hedge (2006)... In December 2005, she signed on to appear in Fast Food Nation which was opened on 17 November 2006 and remained in theaters for 11 weeks, grossing $2 million worldwide...


I guess she's living every girl's dream... Singing, designing clothes and perfumes, becoming an actress... It's safe to say that she's quite successful...

Talking about every girl's dream, in June 2005, Avril got the most romantic moment of her life... Deryck Whibley, lead vocalist of Sum 41 surprised her with a trip to Venice, including a gondola ride and a romantic picnic, and on 27 June, he proposed to her...


The wedding broke my heart a bit... though, what makes me even sadder is the fact that their marriage didn't last long... On 9 October 2009, Avril filed for divorce, releasing the statement, "I am grateful for our time together, and I am grateful and blessed for our remaining friendship"... The divorce was finalized on 16 November 2010, officially ending the marriage... Though they never stated what triggered the divorce, I was kinda glad that they ended it peacefully...


At last, early this year, Avril released her new and latest single, What the Hell, which will be included in her upcoming album, Goodbye Lullaby...



This single is so bad, it's damn good... 
I face-palmed myself when I first heard it 
but after I listened to it more, I think it's not bad...  

The album artwork...






Honestly, I'm kinda excited to listen to her new album... Even though she had transformed a lot since the first time I heard her, she's still awesome in singing and she looks livelier than ever... Let's hope that for the best for Goodbye Lullaby!!

Care to feast your eyes on some of Avril Lavigne's pictures below... Click on the pictures for larger view...







 






Pictures are downloaded for free from Skins.be and Google Images... Related post : here

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments